Career Building Skills for Social Workers: #MacroSW Chat 5/14 8 PM CST
Are you a newly graduated social worker looking for a job? Thinking about going back to graduate school for that MSW? Then join us for a chat with guest experts Melissa Whatley & Joy Jones from the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s (UAB) Career & Professional Development. They will be answering your most pressing questions about searching and interviewing for that first social work job, how to tell your professional story through a resume, and best practices for networking, off-line & online.
We also invite social workers to share their own experiences about finding a social work job, especially a macro position, how they made the decision to go back to graduate school, or their best tip for networking, interviewing or building a resume.
Here is how the chat will work:
Melissa (tweeting from @uabcareerserve) and Joy (tweeting from @ ) will be answering your most pressing career development questions so come prepared. You can also submit your questions in advance to @laurelhitchcock. Melissa and Joy will be selecting questions from your submissions/posts. (Disclaimer: We may not be able to get to everyone’s question due to the time limit of the chat). Possible topics include:
1. What needs to be included on my resume?
2. How can I use social media to get a job?
3. What can I expect during a job interview?
4. What do I need to know to be successful in a social work career?
We also invite anyone joining our chat to share their thoughts and best career advice along side Melissa & Joy.
1. Career.socialwork.org from the National Association of Social Workers
2. Social Work Career – website by Dorlee Michaeli, MBA, LMSW
3. The Political Social Worker – website by Rachel L. West, MSW, LMSW
4. Macro Social Work Career Exploration from the DiNitto Center for Career Services at University of Texas at Austin
#MacroSW is a collaboration of social workers, organizations, social work schools, and individuals working to promote macro social work practice. Macro social work practice focuses on changing larger systems, such as communities and organizations. It encompasses a broad spectrum of actions and ideas, ranging from community organizing and education to legislative advocacy and policy analysis. The chats are held bimonthly on Twitter on the second and fourth Thursday of each month at 9 p.m. EST (6 p.m. PST). For more information, chat schedule, and chat archives check out: https://macrosw.wordpress.com
Our collaborators include: